Building & Safety
The Building & Safety Division regulates the construction and occupancy of all residential, commercial, and industrial buildings in order to ensure compliance with construction-related laws, codes and standards, and local building ordinances.
Our goal is to protect the health, safety, and welfare of our residents and visitors through the equitable enforcement of building standards, which serve to safeguard our constructed environment, ensure sustainable facilities, and enhance the quality of place for our community.
Building & Safety performs plan review for all commercial, industrial, and residential projects in the development process which include new structures, additions, and remodeling of existing buildings within City limits. Field inspections are performed to verify compliance with architectural, structural, plumbing, electrical, mechanical, energy efficiency, accessibility, green building standards, fire, and life-safety requirements.
The City of Highland Is currently Open To The Public Monday – Thursday 7:30 am – 5:30 pm for Permit Issuance & Plan Check Submittals.
The following over-the-counter permits may be submitted via e-mail for processing:
- Electrical Panel Upgrade and Re-wire (please attach site plan indicating the location of work proposed)
- Minor Plumbing (Re-Pipe, water service repair, water heaters)
RESIDENTIAL ROOF-MOUNTED PHOTOVOLTAIC SYSTEMS (SOLAR) UP TO 38.4 KILOWATT AC MAY BE SUBMITTED ONLINE FOR ELECTRONIC REVIEW.
Before you Apply:
- Permit Declarations click here.
- Note: Owner Permits will need to complete and submit the Property Owner Packet Declarations click here.
- If you are an authorized Agent of the Property Owner or Contractor, you will need to submit a notarized letter of Authorization along with photo identification.
- Do not forget to submit your construction documents - you will need:
- Plans and Structural Calculations (SHOWING THE STRUCTURAL ATTACHMENTS AND VERIFYING COMPLIANCE WITH THE LOADS IMPOSED CBC 1602)
Before applying, please contact our City Planning Division by calling 909-864-6861 or come into City Hall to Verify your project is not historic. Any Contractors will need a Current valid City business license to obtain permits. To obtain/ renew a business license Please visit Business Licensing by clicking here.
APPLY HERE (note you will be redirected please make sure to have your information ready to upload during the application process).
Building & Safety
27215 Base Line
Highland, CA 92346
27215 Base Line Highland CA 92346
Phone: 909-864-6861, ext. 232Fax: 909-862-3180
Building Counter Hours
Monday through Thursday
7:30 am to 5:30 pm
Permits issued between
7:30 am and 5:00 pm