The City of Highland transitioned from an at-large to a by-district electoral process with respect to electing City Council Members and established district boundaries. The following information pertains to those individuals that have an interest in becoming a candidate for an office on the Highland City Council.
City Council District Maps
- City Council District 1 Map (PDF)
- City Council District 2 Map (PDF)
- City Council District 3 Map (PDF)
- City Council District 4 Map (PDF)
- City Council District 5 Map (PDF)
November 3, 2020 General Municipal Election
On Tuesday, November 3, 2020, the City of Highland will conduct a General Election for the following offices for full 4-year terms:
- Council Member – District 1
- Council Member – District 3
- Council Member – District 5
Candidates for the office of City Council Member must be:
- A United States citizen
- 18 years of age or older on or before election day
- Reside in, and be a registered voter in, the district in which he or she seeks election at the time nomination papers are issued
- Reside in the district during their incumbency
Candidate Filing Period
The Nomination filing period will open on Monday, July 13, 2020, and will close on Friday, August 7, 2020, at 5:00 p.m. It is during this period of time that candidates may request and file candidate filing documents in order to run for local office. The City Clerk serves as the Elections Official and as the Filing Officer for all documents that each candidate will be required to review, complete, and submit during the filing period and throughout their candidacy. All candidates are provided with a Candidate Handbook that includes information such as key dates and timelines, qualifications for office, the candidate filing process, campaign finance laws, campaign rules, and links to various website resources and agencies.
- Form 501 – Candidate Statement of Intention and Campaign Contributions: Candidates must file this form prior to accepting any campaign contributions or making any campaign expenditures.
- Form 410 – Statement or Organization: Candidates that plan to spend or receive campaign contributions of $2,000 or more must file this form.
For additional information regarding elections, please contact the City Clerk’s Office at 909-864-6861, ext. 226.